Buying An Electric Blanket Or Heated Mattress Pad
Even on the coldest winter night, when the temperature is well below freezing and the wind is howling outside your window, you can be snuggly warm without the weight of multiple blankets – just by adding one electric blanket or mattress pad to your bed.
Not only do electric blankets and mattress pads keep you comfortably warm, but by allowing you to drop your thermostat several degrees at night, they save you considerable money in energy costs over the course of the winter.
While today’s electric blankets are safer than their predecessors, they still need to be used properly for optimal safety.
- Replace an electric blanket that is more than 10 years old. Older blankets are likelier to have faulty wiring and did not have the safety features current models provide.
- Only use a blanket that meets UL standards (requirements for tested and safe product performance).
- Your electric blanket should have an automatic shut-off if the blanket overheats or is left on too long.
- Never run the electric cord between the box springs and the mattress.
- Electric blankets are not made for use under a comforter, quilt or bedspread. If you want to use a decorative spread over your bed, choose a heated mattress cover, which is designed to be underneath other linens.
- Never use an electric blanket on an infant or young child, or on a person with impaired cognition, poor circulation or very sensitive skin.
- Wash your blanket only according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Do not dry clean an electric blanket.
- Unless designed for wrapping around your body, an electric blanket or mattress pad should be flat, with no balling or crumpling that could hold in excess heat.
- Do not use pins or sharp objects on your electric blanket and keep pets away.
- Stop using your blanket if it develops scorch marks, becomes discolored or starts to operate erratically. Also stop using the blanket if the cord frays or cracks.
- Turn your blanket off when not in use.
Do You Want A Wide Choice Of Colors?
Since you cannot safely place another blanket or comforter over an electric blanket, the appearance of your blanket is important.
The Sunbeam Quilted Electric Blanket comes in a wide range of attractive colors, including sage, cocoa, dusty blue, raisin and seashell. The micro plush fabric is incredibly soft and cuddly, and the quilted pattern gives the blanket an interesting style on your bed. Queen and king sizes have dual controllers, allowing two people in the bed to set the temperature in their halves of the blanket independently. No more arguing over who is too hot or too cold! The 100 percent polyester blanket is fully machine washable and dryer safe.
Are You Concerned About Feeling Wires?
Older electric blankets had stiff, thick wires to provide heat, which made the blankets uncomfortable. Today’s electric blankets have better technology, with thinner, more flexible wires.
But if you are very sensitive, the Soft Heat Luxury Micro Fleece Blanket has wires so thin and flexible that you won’t even know they are there. The blanket is very soft and cushiony next to your skin, and the patented low-voltage technology makes the blanket one of the safest on the market. No hot or cold spots, just warm, comfortable luxury as you drift off to sleep. The blanket has an automatic shut-off after 10 hours of use, and queen and king sizes have dual temperature controllers for two users. Machine wash and dry.
Do You Like To Curl Up On The Couch?
If snuggling up on the couch with a good book is your idea of heaven, then a heated blanket with sleeves will keep you covered and warm as you reach for your coffee, or turn the page. It’s just as useful for cuddling up to watch a movie or cheer on your favorite football team.
The ION Coz-e Heated Blanket with Sleeves is designed to wrap around your body while relaxing on the couch or in a chair. It shuts off automatically after 60 minutes and has four temperature settings.
Do You Want Heat In The Car?
If even the car heater isn’t warm enough, or you will be camping in an recreational vehicle (RV), boat or truck, an electric blanket designed just for travel will keep you or your children warm and comfortable, whether sleeping for the night or taking a brief nap.
The Heated Fleece Travel Blanket has an adapter for use with the 12-volt lighter outlet in your car or other vehicle. With a cord over 6 feet in length, even kids in the back can cozy up and enjoy the ride. The blanket warms up within 10 minutes and is big enough to share in the backseat. The cheerful black and red plaid polyester fleece is soft and comfortable.
Do You Prefer A Heated Mattress Pad?
Unlike electric blankets, heated mattress pads are designed to be safely covered up with sheets and other bedding. They gently warm your mattress, radiating comfortable heat up to your body.
The Soft Heat Micro-Plush Heated Bed Pad adds a layer of thick, plush comfort to your mattress. The wires are so thin, you won’t even feel them, and the patented low-voltage technology makes the heated mattress pad safe even if it becomes wet. The pad warms up to your desired setting, then holds the temperature steady – no more overheating to wake you up from a sound sleep. If you forget to turn the pad off in the morning, the automatic shut-off will do it for you after 10 hours of use.
On the coldest winter nights, there’s no need for multiple blankets piled high when one blanket can do the job so easily. You’ll sleep soundly, knowing your thermostat is on a lower setting, yet you are still warm and comfortable under your cozy electric blanket.